Halloween Safety Tips
Chief Frank P. Cappiello of the Woodbridge Police Department offers the following safety tips and suggestions to promote a safe, fun and trouble-free Halloween:
- Trick-or-Treat in groups with adult supervision.
- Apply reflective tape to costumes, dress in light colors and carry a flashlight.
- Remind children to be alert and to keep a safe distance from moving vehicles.
- Refrain from using cellphones and electronic devices while walking.
- Motorists should drive defensively and be alert for excited youngsters crossing the streets.
- Use caution when passing vehicles stopped in the roadway, as they could be dropping off children.
- Driving below the posted speed limit will allow added time to brake in the event that a child darts into the street.
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity immediately.
- Wait until children are home to sort and check treats. A responsible adult should closely examine all treats and throw away any spoiled, unwrapped or suspicious items.